Members, we need your help! MSJDN is joining the National Military Family Association in their efforts to #EndSequestration.
On Thursday, September 12, NMFA, MSJDN and other leading military family organizations will take a stand and Storm the Hill to #EndSequestration. We will be sharing your stories by distributing NMFA’s #EndSequestration book to Members of Congress to highlight the impact of sequestration on military families. We need 20 more volunteers to help stand and stop the yellow ribbon symbolizing the Nation’s support from unraveling.
Christina Jumper, Volunteer Services Director for NMFA, explains: “Military families are the Nation’s families and as military family advocates they are counting on us to help support them. What we do today will impact those currently serving and those to come after them. Military families have experienced a small dose of sequestration. Our access to health care, children’s education, and our service member’s training and equipment should never be an option.”
Many MSJDN members may already have personal stories about how sequestration is affecting their family, and this week’s Storm the Hill event provides an opportunity to share those stories directly with our elected officials.
MSJDN invites all local NoVA/DC members to attend. To RSVP for the event, please contact Christina Jumper at email@example.com by Tuesday, September 10, and provide a cell phone and emergency contact number.
Even if you are not able to attend Thursday’s event, please sign NMFA’s #EndSequestration online petition. NMFA would like to collect as many signatures as possible prior to the September 12 Storm the Hill event.
Join MSJDN as we support NMFA and all military families:
- Date: September 12, 2013
- Time: 9:00 am (arrive at NMFA HQ, 2500 N. Van Dorn Street, Alexandria, VA 22302, between 8:30 and 9:00 am) until 1:30pm (bus will arrive back at HQ by 2:15pm)
- Dress: comfortable walking shoes, no jeans. Volunteers will receive an #EndSequestration t-shirt to wear.
- Volunteers will be asked to sign a media release and a reimbursement form for $10 for their lunch. Lunch will be at the House or Senate office buildings cafeterias. Breakfast snacks will be available at NMFA HQ in the morning.
- At 9:00 am, Volunteers will receive a short briefing and an assignment packet, including a map, a script, and assigned offices to visit. Volunteers will work in teams of 2 and could be visiting 20-25 offices in the 3 ½ hour time. Accordingly, visits should be limited to 5-10 minutes each.
- We will take a bus to Capitol Hill at 9:30 am and have a group photo taken.
- STORM the HILL: You will receive a short script to work from to know with whom you are asking to speak and how to share our stories. Although the Member’s office will be aware we are coming, in most cases, you will be speaking with the Defense or Military Legislative staffer. If there happens to be a vote on the floor, it may be only the Legislative Assistant is available. If you have a personal story about how sequestration has affected your family, you may share it during your visit.
- Volunteers are also free to bring cameras or cells phones and are encouraged to take pictures of your conversations and/or to tweet about them!