We have a day for giving thanks. We have two for getting deals. Now, we have #GivingTuesday, a global day dedicated to giving back. Today, December 2, 2014, charities, families, businesses, community centers, and students around the world are coming together for one common purpose: to celebrate generosity and to give.
For the last two years, #GivingTuesday has challenged individuals and communities to make the world a better place through generosity. The simple act of giving not only helps others, but also fundamentally connects us to each other and nourishes a generous community spirit. This year, the Military Spouse JD Foundation is honored to partner with #GivingTuesday to encourage giving to support military families.
Suggestions for how to support military families today:
- Make a tax deductible donation to the Military Spouse JD Foundation to support military spouse education and licensing initiatives and our pro bono legal program for military families. Every dollar makes a difference!
- Ask your employer if they have a donation matching program to double your support.
- Share an #UnSelfie – post or tweet a photo of you explaining why you support military spouse employment and licensing initiatives.
- Donate pro bono legal services with Justice for Military Families.
- Learn more about how JMF helps military families by matching them with milspouse attorneys for free legal help. Read the story of how one MSJDN member helped a Gold Star mother preserve her fallen daughter’s legacy.
- Volunteer with one of the Military Spouse JD Network’s committees.
- Become a Founding Sponsor of the Military Spouse JD Network.
In 2011, the Military Spouse JD Network was formed to serve as a bar association and networking body for military spouse attorneys, with the goal of improving the lives of military families. We have been working tirelessly on efforts to reduced licensing barriers in jurisdictions around the country. 11 states now have licensing accommodations for military spouse attorneys, with 12 others under consideration. But this is only part of the MSJDN mission. The organization needed a vehicle for education and plugging its members in to meet the specific legal needs of the military community. So a 501(c)(3) non-profit, the Military Spouse JD Foundation, was formed to develop our members as professionals, teach them effective advocacy skills, and provide them with opportunities to use those skills to address the legal needs of the military and veterans communities.
In order to ensure the continued success of the Foundation, we’re asking for your support on #GivingTuesday. With many military spouses struggling to maintain legal careers your contributions can help improve the life of a military family, and empower a military spouse attorney to improve the entire community.
– A donation of $100 provides a continuing legal education credit for a member.
– A donation of $300 helps an unemployed military spouse attorney keep a license to practice in good standing.
– A donation of $500 helps a military spouse attend an in-person networking event or ABA conference.
– A donation of $2,000 helps a military spouse pay for a second/third/fourth bar review course.
– A donation of $7,500 helps develop an online clinic, connecting MSJDN member attorneys with veterans and military families with unmet legal needs
– A donation of $15,000 helps develop and staff the online pro bono clinic, connecting MSJDN member attorneys and veterans with unmet legal needs