MSJDN’s annual career conference is scheduled for October 23, 2015 in Seattle, WA. Hosted at the offices of Bracewell and Giuliani LLP, Making the Right Moves will be a full day of education and networking opportunities for military spouses in the legal profession. The day will kick off with a welcome message from Dan Lear, Director of Industry Relations for Avvo, followed by a panel exploring the Grit Project, an ABA initiative designed to educate lawyers about the right mindset for grit and growth. Other topics that will be covered include leveraging technology to create portable career opportunities, strategic volunteering, non-traditional careers for JDs, and pursuing public service. Check out the full agenda on the event page.
1. Connect and celebrate with other military spouse attorneys. MSJDN is incredible because it allows military spouses in the legal profession to connect, even though we are scattered around the globe. As awesome and active as our online forums are though, nothing beats a personal connection “in real life.” Making the Right Moves is the perfect time to come meet other military spouse JDs face-to-face. We will also recognize a military spouse attorney with the third annual Exceptional Service Award. Know someone who is exceptional? Nominate them here by September 23rd and then join us for the celebration during the networking luncheon at the conference.
2. Invest in your career. We get it – traveling to a conference can be expensive. Consider it an investment in your future – you and your career are worth it! Many states will accept the conference for CLE credit, but it’s not just about the credits. Making the Right Moves is the only conference designed specifically for military spouse attorneys. The education is aimed at addressing the unique circumstances of MSJDN members. For example, Army veteran Ryan Gist, who works in house at Expedia, Inc. will talk about the ins and outs of online advertising, a practice area he suggests for military spouses because of its portability. The panels are created to address issues frequently raised by military spouse attorneys – how can I volunteer strategically to gain skills and build connections, can technology help me continue to practice in a new duty station, what non-traditional careers have others pursued? Want to come but need help defraying the costs? MSJDN is offering a limited number of scholarships (apply here) and discounted rooms are blocked for the conference at the nearby Renaissance Seattle hotel.
3. Networking. An important part of any conference is the food, right? During Making the Right Moves, lunch is also an excellent opportunity for networking. All community members are welcome for the luncheon to allow the legal and business community to mix and mingle with military spouses. Last year’s networking paid off for some MSJDN members in attendance, who are now employed thanks to connections made during the Making the Right Moves luncheon. So don’t disappear after the morning panels – you don’t want to miss lunch!
4. Inspiration. Maintaining a legal career, dealing with training and deployments – it can be a grind. Add in solo parenting, all those uniforms in the laundry, and a last minute change to your spouse’s work schedule – life is crazy busy! Sometimes we get so bogged down in our daily routines that we just focus what’s in front of us and forget why we started down this path in the first place. It’s an honor to support our servicemembers in their service to this country, even when that makes our career path an uphill journey. Making the Right Moves is the perfect time to recharge your career batteries and celebrate being part of the incredible military family community.Come connect with other like-minded military spouses and hear from those who have successfully balanced their careers with the military lifestyle.
5. Seattle coffee. Need I say more? Just in case that’s not enough motivation, check out all that Seattle has to offer. It’s a lot more than just rain and coffee! Visit the Pike Place Market, hike or bike the Burke-Gilman trail along the water, rock out at the Experience Music Project, and eat dinner on top of the Space Needle. Seattle is an incredible city full of good food, great music, and lots to do. Bring your spouse and enjoy a weekend exploring the Pacific Northwest!
So don’t wait – save your seat for Making the Right Moves today! Early bird tickets are available now through September 23rd.